JOB DESCRIPTION: EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
COR is looking for an Editor-in-Chief to build and lead a team of talented video reporters in San Francisco and a large network of video journalists across the United States. The role requires commitment to quality production, technical know-how, and strong journalistic integrity. As a founding hire, the EIC will help shape the organization.
We are looking for an experienced journalist, preferably with experience in video journalism, ready to provide leadership for the COR team with a clear vision for the future of online & mobile news. The EIC must be committed to creating the next generation of news, adhering to the highest standards of quality and integrity. He or she should be passionate about finding unique, diverse human perspectives on the topics that matter most in people’s lives.
The EIC will develop a strategy for distinctive coverage, assigning features and video news stories to in-house reporters and freelance journalists. The EIC will ensure that all published videos meet COR’s standards for originality, insight, journalistic integrity, and production quality.
The position is based in San Francisco.
- Provide editorial leadership for COR in-house reporters and COR network of reporters.
- Identify developing or breaking news that warrants deeper reporting and collaborate with in-house team and/or freelance journalists to create high-quality video news coverage.
- Produce original and innovative content on challenging deadlines. Initiate and edit news spots and feature stories.
- Ensure that all material reflects COR style, approach and journalistic standards.
- Strive for balanced reporting, reflecting diverse perspectives and rejecting partisanship.
- Identify and cultivate new video journalists for our national network. Manage and edit freelance reporters. Communicate COR standards and vision to freelance network.
- Recruit, hire, and lead reporting staff by:
- Creating a culture of constructive performance coaching and regular, on-going feedback
- Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity
- Embracing diversity in staff make-up (including diversity of political perspectives
- Work with Video Editor to ensure video content adheres to COR’s brand, standards, and journalistic vision.
- Make determinations about which content to accept & publish from independent contributors.
- Work within a team environment, responding to the needs of all COR initiatives.
- Monitor relevant budgets.
- Lead editorial meetings and long-range planning as needed.
- Define metrics to be studied and use data to inform publishing decisions.
- Strive to be well-read and well-informed about news, current events, history, and public policy.
The ideal candidate will have
- A proven track record of pitching, commissioning, and editing high-quality news spots and features for online video news.
- Firm command of the nation’s leading political issues, particularly those related to the 2016 election cycle.
- A proven track record in hiring and managing a cohesive team.
- Top-level journalistic judgment and the strong leadership skills necessary to develop and maintain a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture.
- Experience working with technical teams.
- Experience analyzing and using data to inform publishing decisions.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum seven years journalism experience
- Demonstrated experience in news and feature production, particularly video news production, and preferably political news.
- Supervisory/management experience. Management experience must demonstrate an ability to create and enforce high standards and an ability to teach, inspire, and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Able to function independently and within a strong team environment
- Well-established editing skills with an understanding of the need for interpretive reporting on often complex and many-layered issues.
- Superior abilities in creating story ideas, writing, editing, and producing.
- Well-established contacts and knowledge of the journalism community.
- Ability to deliver material to national-quality programs on deadline.
- Facility with writing excellent headlines.
- Sound critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility, personality and value of material to the program.
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
- Ability to work collegially and creatively with staff and colleagues at all levels of experience.
- Leadership and ability to develop high performing teams.
- Ability to motivate employees, train and grow staff and network.
- Facility with social media and modern news-gathering tools.
- Eagerness to collaborate with design, data, and developer teams.
- Understanding of the metrics that should be measured for audience growth and ability to analyze and use data in decision-making.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Mobile video experience or content creation for online/mobile distribution.
- Background in and passion for politics and/or political campaigns.
- Entrepreneurial experience.
- Ability and willingness to report, edit, and produce as needed.
- Familiarity with web writing and SEO
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to silvia [at] cor [dot] media with “Editor-in-Chief” in the subject line.
JOB DESCRIPTION: MOBILE WEB DEVELOPER
WE ARE HIRING A WEB DEVELOPER WHO IS A SELF-STARTER AND WANTS TO SHAPE THE FUTURE OF VIDEO NEWS. THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH VIDEO PLATFORMS AND BUILDING FOR THE MOBILE WEB.
You enjoy small fast-moving teams and obsess over delivering a delightful user experience.
- Keen consumer product sense.
- Experience building video products, extra points for mobile web video products.
- Self-motivated and thrive in an environment where your work spans from high-level solutions to end-to-end implementation.
- Creative thinker with a knack for finding the simple "right" answer.
- Comfortable with both frontend and backend technologies.
- Experience creating end-to-end web apps from scratch with a common open-source application stack.
- A do-whatever-it-takes attitude.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Prior startup experience.
Day to day:
- Write code
- Consult on product development strategy with exec team
- Collaborate on designs
- Manage releases and deployments
- Write technical specifications
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to silvia [at] cor [dot] media with “Mobile Web Developer” in the subject line.